Monday, July 10, 2006

Why Are You Here?

Lately, I've been wrestling with exactly why I am on the path that I'm on. Am I here because of the challenge my job presents to my skill set? Am I here because of the money I'll make this year? Am I here to help members of my company's staff grow in their own walk with Christ? Am I here so that 6 months from now I could be making a sales call and hear something in conversation with my prospect that leads to a conversation that leads them to church that leads them to the Word that leads them to the Lord?

Paul's introductions always bear out that he is doing the Lord's work. Whether to the Ephesian church, the Roman church, the believers at Corinth, he was always prefacing his letter from the standpoint of why he was there.

At dinner tonight, some friends and I wrestled with what it looks like to live for God - do you have to work at a church, in ministry, as a missionary? So many of the examples we have of those who serve God are the "pros". People who "do God stuff" for a living. But, what about just being an Account Rep, a Sales Manager, an Accounts Payable Director, a CEO, a CIO, a PhD in XYZ?

No, I don't have a point that I'm driving at today, just wanted to stir up some fo the mud that's settled in our collective brains to see if we're on track or off track. No matter what you do, are you doing it for the Lord, not for men? For the Lord, not for the Benjamins? For the Lord and not for the recognition? Check yo sef.

No comments: