Monday, May 22, 2006

What Would Jesus Do?

I'm always bothered by that question. Yet, I see so many followers of Christ using that as a litmus test for how to live their lives.

It sounds noble. It sounds wise. And yet, when you look at how Jesus handled the "tricky" situations the Pharisees surrounded Him with, you begin to track with me on the same path...

Luke 20.19-26 is a depiction of the Pharisees trying to trick Jesus into taking sides. But, as my pastor often says, "Jesus didn't come to take sides, He came to take over. Christ sees into the hearts of men and cuts them off at the intellectual pass. Often, his opposition would be thinking something and He, knowing their hearts, would answer the question they hadn't yet posed.

Now, I'm all for being wise, reading people, and asking the questions that really get to the bottom of the issue at hand, especially when it is a complete strawman. But, I'm not sure I have the gift of telepathy or heart-reading. Do you ever get confused in those WWJD situations?
What would Jesus do in this situation?
"Uh, read their minds and ask them the real question..."


Is it theologically sound to answer the question with a confident "I don't know"?

No comments: