Monday, June 05, 2006

Can I Ask You a Question?

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

"How long will you simple ones love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you.

But since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke,

since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke,

they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes."
Prov. 1:20-25,30-31


It almost seems as if there's no commentary needed here.

Unfortunately, that's just not the case, because while we all, Christians or not, alike, look at this passage and say "Yeah, that makes sense." we're still prone to glossing over the truth that lives within the text. We would all stroke our beards (those who have one) and say "wisdom is sooooo important..." But, the Bible classifies people in 4 different ways, repeatedly -
1) the righteous - those who heed the word of God in humility
2) the simple, or naive who just don't know what they don't know
3) the fool, who believes they are beyond consequence
and
4) the mocker, or scoffer whose attitude is more "I know, I just don't really care what you say..."

This is where one of my favorite questions comes in:"In light of my past experiences, my current circumstances and responsibilities, and my future hopes and dreams, what is the wise thing to do?"

A very secular question, but when applied through the lens of a relationship with a God who calls us His children and who has a plan for our lives, it's a bit weightier than the average "What's the right thing to do in this situation?" kind of question, isn't it? Honestly, with the weight of Divine appointment, eternal treasures in Heaven, and the eternal future of those God tells us are lost without Him, can you feel that question grow heavier in your hands?

So, there's the question for the day:
Not only, "what's the wise choice?", but in light of your relationship, or lack thereof, with a personal God, how much more valuable is that question in evaluating the many decisions you face today, this week, this month?

No comments: