Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Naturally Speaking

Josh Justice is a smart fella. I hear I am, too.

Both of us proved this wrong on Sunday because he told me he started a new blog about purity, chastity, abstinence, and he never bothered to tell me the URL, nor did I bother to demand it from him.

So, here I sit, ready to post about purity, and have no link to publish, and Josh hasn't yet returned my call. I'm publicly holding us both accountable for being more intelligent than that.

***Update*** I'm the lone moron, now. As I was posting, Josh was eMailing and sent me the aforementioned link. Your blogging homework has doubled, dear reader. Now, I am happy to introduce a controversial new blog by Josh Justice:
Glorious Gain. Read on...

***We now rejoin our blog post already in progress...***

Therefore, all I have to say today is-
Flee!!!


If you've never heard me say it before, look it up. And get serious about it. If you don't believe in God, just pretend that He exists for a moment, He loves you as an individual, and wants you to experience maximum freedom in the arena of sex. Unfortunately, we have been taught that maximum freedom in sex means "anywhere, anytime, with anyone." More unfortunately, that's akin to saying that maximum freedom with a lawnmower is "anywhere, anytime, with anyone."

The lie we believe is that "it's natural". Yes, sex is natural. "Animals do it." Yes, they do. But, we are capable of much higher thought and emotion, vis-a-vis intimacy. And, as long as we look at sex as an event, a thing we do, a moment, we miss the value and intimacy that God intended it to have. In fact, as long as we separate sex from intimacy, or fail to make the connection, we're cutting our lawn with a dull blade and a missing wheel - sure, the lawn is shorter, but it just "don't look natural..." Furthermore, we're not getting highest and best use of an amazing invention!!! What a waste of time...

We don't have time to get into the spiritual side of sex, but let's just throw this question out there to stir things up:
If sex is more than physical, more than emotional and mental, but spiritual, too, what are we missing when we consistently fail to tap into one whole side of it? The Bible teaches that we live in a broken world and what is natural after The Fall of man is really a warping of what God had originally intended. That is to say, "natural" doesn't necessarily equate to "beneficial" or "holy". What's natural about sex for sons and daughters of Adam and Eve is the union of all pleasures - physical, sexual, emotional, mental, and spiritual in the process, not event, of sex. What's unnatural is when the enemy tells us through direct counsel, media, or peer pressure, that the separation of urge and state is more fulfilling than God's "whole enchilada" approach.

When I began to discover this, I got very angry. I don't like getting ripped off. How about you?

That's all I've got for today. For now, think it over. Pray about it. (If you don't know how to pray, but feel moved to do so, just start out with "God..." and fill in what you're feeling. It's customary to end with "amen.")

When you're done with that, follow this link, and you'll be happy you did.

No comments: